What is the best Photobooth Printer for Your Business?

What is the Best Photo Printer for Your Photobooth
Image Courtesy of Russ at Obscura Photobooths

It’s a new year for the photo booth business and 2012 is shaping up to be a good one. There are more choices than ever when it comes to choosing a professional photo booth printer! A lot has changed over the last year (besides Sony not making printers anymore) and we are excited to see more printer manufacturers adding features for photo booths. All of these photo booth market leaders are reliable, easy to maintain and produce beautiful “robust” prints.

If you are building your own photobooth note that Imaging Spectrum offers these printers bundled with Breeze Systems Photobooth Software. Check out our photobooth bundles.

If you would like a test print from one of these printers, please feel free to contact me. We would be happy to make a test print and answer your questions. Steve@imagingspectrum.com, 800-342-9294

DNP DSRX1

DNP DSRX1 Photo Printer

The DNP DSRX1 is DNP’s photo booth flagship printer. Its’ light weight, 700 print roll capacity and 2×6 cut, make it a solid choice for photobooth applications. The professional picture quality from this photobooth printer is outstanding considering it has one of the lowest cost-per-prints in the booth market.

HiTi P510L

HiTi P510L Photo Printer

The HiTi 510L is a popular choice for budget conscious photo booth builders. This light weight unit is the least expensive professional dye sub printer on the market.  The printer tips the scales at 30lbs and, for those who like portability, it is a great choice. The 2×6 print option and ribbon cartridge load are also attractive features. At 16 cents per 4×6, you get a solid quality print that gives its competitors a run for the money.

Shinko S2145

Shinko S2145 Photo Printer

The Shinko S2145 has a solid reputation in the photobooth market. The 2×6 photo booth strip is an option with this printer and it comes with one of the fastest print speeds in the market. The printer’s reliability and hassle-free low maintenance is very attractive, as well as its’ easy media load and high-capacity.

HiTi P720L

HiTi P720L Photo Printer

If you are looking for high capacity and low cost per print the HiTi P720L just may be the printer you are looking for. Built like a tank, the HiTi P720L has the lowest cost per print ($0.13 per 4×6) and the highest capacity (1,000 4×6 prints per roll) among photo booth printers. While it is comparatively large, it’s heavy build makes it very durable and the 2×6 cut option allows it to be a player in the photo booth arena. If your events are high volume, the HiTi P720L is definitely worth a look.

Sony UP-CX1 (Refurbished only)

Sony UPCX1 Photo Printer

At one time, this was without a doubt the most popular printer in the photobooth market. This light weight printer tips the scales at a mere 23lbs. Easy media replacement and a small footprint makes the UP-CX1 perfect for space-restricted areas. The ribbon cassette on this printer loads from the side and paper from the front. In situations where portability and weight are important, this is the lightest and most portable booth printer in the portfolio. The UP-CX1 is compatible with Sony’s exclusive Tear and Share media, which is still available.

Sony UP-DR200 (Refurbished only)

Sony UPDR200 Photo Printer

Like the UPCX1, the Sony UPDR-200 has been discontinued. The good news is this once iconic photo booth printer is still available as a refurbished unit. Its low per-print cost, high-speed, and 2×6 strip keep it at the top of the used printer list.

Steve has over 30 years of professional imaging industry experience and is Sales Manager at Imaging Spectrum.

1. Queen City Santa

November 2, 2015 - 10:45 am

I play Santa and O am looking for a printer that can print 4×6 pictures and packages. Mac compatible What are your recommendations

Thanks

Brock

2. Barry Wong

February 25, 2015 - 11:02 am

Frank R,

Not sure if you purchased the DS40 yet but I have 3 of them for my photobooth business and they are work horses.

I’ve used them for all day music festivals (14 hours in 100+ degree heat) and for long term events (4 months, 10+ hours a day). There was the occasional paper jam but they were less than a handful.

The only issue I have is the weight – i think they’re 40 lbs so traveling on a flight with them is a pain but it’s worth the performance, speed and most importantly the speed.

I hope this helps!

Barry Wong
    Hive Social Lab

3. Steve B

January 21, 2015 - 9:02 am

Frank R,

The RX1 is a good printer, however, the DS40 is a BETTER printer for those that want speed, a more portable machine and a machine that can handle a heavier workload. I usually recommend a faster and more robust printer like the DS40 for any event work outside of the booth. Either printer is fine for a photo booth. The DS40 print quality is a little better.

4. Frank R

January 20, 2015 - 10:06 pm

I have he Dnp RX1 and absolutely love it … had a issue with t the other day … had to scrap half a roll of paper … pissed me off but beside that great. My question is … is the dnp ds40 MUCH better for photo booth application ? I will be doing a few long term photo booths events ( run 8 hours per day over the course of a few days )

5. Steve B

December 1, 2014 - 8:38 am

Caleb,

We have an updated printer comparison on the blog that includes the DS40. This is an older one. 🙂

6. Caleb

November 26, 2014 - 9:51 pm

How did the Dnp-ds40 not make the list?
    I have one, and I am amazed at how fast the first copy gets out.
    Caleb of Elite Custom

7. Lee G

October 22, 2014 - 11:40 am

Hi guys, I stumbled upon your website. The photo-booth idea is none existent where I am currently living. I am extremely keen to pursue this as a business opportunity. I would love to speak with one of you guys more about this, on how it can work for me over here. If you ship to Europe, please contact me through the mail I provided. Look forward to hearing from you.

8. Steve B

June 16, 2014 - 9:40 am

Jake,

The printing you describe can be any number of printers available for events or photo booths. Your #tag printing is a software driven process. The printer choice is relatively open. If you want to print “square” as the instagram format, you may consider these 3 printers:
    DNP DS40 does a 4×4 on special perf media.
    Sinfonia CS2 does a 5×5 on 5×7 media.
    The Mitsubishi does a 6×6 on the 6R kits.
    Hope this helps. Feel free to call use to discuss the details.

Regards,

Steve B
    Imaging Spectrum
    800-342-9294

9. Jake

June 15, 2014 - 10:05 am

Hi Steve,
    Looking to start my new business, wanting to get into #tag instagram instant printers, would you know a brand of printer that does comercial instant prints? Wanting a reliable and inexpensive model
    Please give me an emails
    Regards
    Jake

10. Steve B

May 28, 2014 - 8:25 am

Angelin,

Feel free to call me to discuss your options. I believe you may have meant the Sony 150 and not the 250. There are so many quality printers on the market today. Give me a call to discuss all of the options available for you. I might suggest the Brava 21 or DNP DS40.

Steve B
    800-342-9294
    Imaging Spectrum

11. angelin saenz

May 27, 2014 - 9:18 pm

what is the best printer for a photo booth. i got the sony up-DR250 with the booth we purchased and now to my horror, i just found out today they no longer make the 4×6 paper, i am dying over here, ihave two events this weekend and will not have enough paper :(. What is going to be the best replacement for this printer. I love it it is wonderful but now am screwed, help! please 🙁

12. JOSHUA OLUSANYA

March 18, 2014 - 12:31 pm

pls,Best printer btw dnp ds80 and p720

13. Steve B

March 6, 2014 - 9:14 am

Gabe,

Please contact Fuji direct to find an authorized dealer for those products.

Thanks again.

Steve B
    Team Imaging Spectrum

14. Gabe

March 2, 2014 - 2:33 pm

is anyone can tell me where can I get a supplies for Fuji minilab Sfa 250 Like paper and chimical product..
    I will appreciated.
    Gabe

15. Steve B

January 23, 2014 - 12:52 pm

Randy,

Thank you for the note. Good question. There are many things to consider relative to used equipment. A good analogy would be to look at it like a new car vs. a used car. A new car has less of a chance of having a breakdown, however, a used car can be a great value buy. You can almost buy 2 used Sony 200 refurbs for the cost of 1 new printer. So you can have a back up handy for the same price as a new one. Relative to cost per print and print quality they are pretty close. Color is very subjective so you would need to see some prints to make the call. If you email us we would be happy to send you a set of comparison prints.

The Sony 200 is a bit faster than the RX1 however, that typically is not a big issue in a photo booth environment. Event printing is a different story with large groups, so the Sony 200 would have an edge there. If you have some more specific questions I would be happy to go into greater detail.

Feel free to give us a ring to discuss. You can ask for myself or Christina.

800-342-9294
    Steve B

16. Randy S

January 23, 2014 - 11:33 am

I’m trying to start up a small photo booth business. I was going to get a DNP RX1, but after reading on previous articles I’m thinking about buying the Refurbished Sony UPDR200 Printer (buying from here of course) might be the way to go. Just for the price of the unit and price of the prints.
    What are the Pro’s and Con’s about this printer?

Just needed some advice before I pull the trigger.

Thanks

17. Steve B

January 2, 2014 - 12:50 pm

Jim,

Give us a call. We would be more than happy to help you put a solution together. This is our specialty.

800-342-9294

Steve B
    Imaging Spectrum

18. Jim Bilyeu

January 1, 2014 - 12:06 am

Hi, I am a professional Santa Claus and I am thinking of starting my own little business of “Pictures with Santa”. The Co. I have worked for use the UP-DR200. This printer would do everything I would want. In short, I am looking for a complete set up, camera, printer and cabinet. Can you give me a direction to go. Thank You for your time.

19. Art

October 16, 2013 - 8:41 am

We want to use DNP in photobooth for printing photos with a size of 3×4″. We were advised to search for a special cutting module which was presented at the exhibition in Cologne, but we do not know the manufacturer of it.

Could you please advise any solution for printing photo booth pictures of such size (3×4″)?

We are also considering the possibility of using instant printers for this purpose. Did anyone use or modificate Polaroid GL10 or another printer for photobooth?

20. Steven

October 10, 2013 - 10:57 pm

Why didn’t the DNP DS40 W/ 2X6 OPTION make the list?
    The RX1 is Great but DS40’s would own every one of the listed printer. There is a reason Walgreens and now FedEx uses our Printer in their stores. When you treat them right they go forever.

21. VisionRouge

June 22, 2013 - 8:45 am

I have both the Sony UPDR200 and the CX1,
    Quality is noticeable better on the large one and also get faster.
    Not all the printer in this selection will give you similar color and option on the driver.

The best is to go and try before buying.
    So far, the Sony are the fastest and with 600 print inside, it’s a perfect option for large event where you don’t want to run out of paper in the middle of it!

22. Steve B

June 3, 2013 - 9:52 am

Kristina,

Please give us a call and ask for tech support. We would be happy to look into your situation and see if we can help.

Thanks again,

Steve B
    Imaging Spectrum
    800-342-9294

23. Kristina

June 1, 2013 - 5:43 am

We are literally 1 month past the HITI warranty, and have had major issues with printing at our last 3 events! This is so embarrassing, especially since we thought we must have solved our problems several hours of trouble shooting, and $200 worth of ribbon later. Anyone have a problem w/ paper jamming, then tearing apart ribbon, and transferring the torn pieces onto subsequent prints?

24. Photo Booths

May 26, 2013 - 3:06 am

Thanks for writing this very useful information you have provided for me cheers!

25. Steve B

May 15, 2013 - 10:07 am

Mario,

If you are wanting to work with Linux, you would need to contact DNP directly and ask them for Linux support. Some companies do have support for special operating system requirements.

Thanks

Steve B
    Imaging Spectrum

26. Mario

May 14, 2013 - 10:05 pm

The DNP DSRX1 printer is ideal for me, but does not have drivers for linux, there is some of this type that has drivers for linux?

27. Odi

May 9, 2013 - 8:11 pm

What’s the difference between a dye sub printer and ink jet? Which one produces better picture quality?

I am new in photobooth biz and feedback from my guest/customers is that my pictures are not as sharp and popping as the ones they get from photographers.

Any help here?

28. Steve B

April 17, 2013 - 10:10 am

Ndiaz,

Thank you for the note. Feel free to call me to discuss your workflow needs. There are many options for you to choose from.

Thanks again.

Steve
    Imaging Spectrum
    800-342-9294

29. Ndiaz

April 16, 2013 - 7:43 pm

I’m looking into buying a modern photo booth printer something with good quality with a fair price any suggestion in today’s photo booth market???

30. Steve B

February 14, 2013 - 9:04 am

Daniel,

Thank you for making us aware of this. We would like to learn more about the issues you are having with your Shinko. I will call you later today to discuss the details.

Thanks again.

Steve

31. Daniel

February 13, 2013 - 9:40 pm

Do you buy back printers? I purchased a shinko from you guys and I absolutely hate it. I’d like to replace if possible.

Thank you!

32. Steve B

February 5, 2013 - 3:21 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the note. I got your email and left a voice mail on your phone. Call any time. We can find a solution that works.

Regards,

Steve
    Imaging Spectrum

33. Bob Cleary

February 5, 2013 - 1:19 pm

Can you recommend software/equipment to begin a Mobile photobooth type business at the lowest possible cost ? I live on disability and need a new income stream… Thanks.

34. Bob Cleary

February 5, 2013 - 1:17 pm

Can anyone recommend software/equipment to begin a Mobile photobooth type business at the lowest possible cost ? I live on disability and need a new income stream… Thanks.

35. ryan miranda

January 31, 2013 - 3:05 pm

DNP RX1 or HITI p710L or KODAK 305 printer?

please help

any suggestion it would be really helpful,by the way this printers is the only available thru the market in my country,i am into a photo booth business

thanx in advance!

36. Photo Booth Manufacturers

January 26, 2013 - 10:03 am

Thanks for discussing about Photo Booth Manufacturers. I appreciate your work and this blog post. Great work, keep this carry on. I would like to visit again and like to read some more interesting information.

37. Steve B

January 23, 2013 - 12:09 pm

Jeff,

Feel free to give me a call to discuss turn key solutions. I have several to recommend.

Thanks again!

38. Jeff

January 21, 2013 - 1:26 am

Hey Steve-
    Thanks for the offer to send out some samples. I’ll email you with an address. Do you have any suggestions to Mary’s request for pre-fab photobooths?

39. deepak

January 15, 2013 - 5:33 am

which thermal printer model gives professional quality photo printing & lower print coast in fuji,dnp, soni, hiti or mitsubishi.
    already using shinko chc-2145 but not satisfied.
    thanks

40. Steve B

January 2, 2013 - 9:08 am

Jeff,

The image longevity and durability is very similar between these models. The RX-1 quality is good for a budget printer. If you would like some sample prints, please send me an email. I would be happy to send you a sample.

Thanks again.

steve@imagingspectrum.com
    Steve B

41. Jeff

December 30, 2012 - 11:26 pm

How does the image quality, longevity, and durability compare between dye-sub printers and the RX-1 Thermal?

42. Darryn

November 2, 2012 - 1:01 pm

We have replaced our Sony CX1 with the DNP RX1 about a year ago and have been very happy with it. 700 shots per media refill mean I will never need to reload at an event. Photos at just under 15 cents and my favorite feature is the 2X6 strip cutting, no more cutting by hand! Imaging Spectrum has the best prices and customer service is always just a simple phone call away.

43. treasure

October 25, 2012 - 5:12 am

I need 5×7 shinko printer pls contact me and papers should be available

44. Dave

October 10, 2012 - 6:45 pm

Our main Sony UPCX1 that we have had for 4 years just reached 100,000 photo booth prints over the weekend. I wish it cut strips without the special, and expensive perf paper.

45. Mary

June 26, 2012 - 1:16 pm

I am researching starting a photobooth business. I am not comfortable building one I would like to buy turnkey. Any suggestions?

June 11, 2012 - 12:45 am

All of those printers will work however they are all old and discontinued.
    The DR100 no longer has media made for it and had a SCSI connection that does not work with Win 7.
    The D8000W no longer has drivers on the Mitsi site and I do not know if it works with Win 7. The media cost is twice as much as other new printers.
    The DR150 is USB2, has Win 7 drivers and still has media. You can still buy them used, however they are old technology and do not cut 2-2×6 strips.
    Of the three, the DR150 is the best option but the new technology is hard to beat.
    You can print 4-2×3 on a 4×6 providing you have software that can do it.

47. zipjohnson

June 8, 2012 - 11:15 pm

Can i use Sony UPDR150, DR100 & or mitsubishi D8000W
    if so wich is best?
    i know i can print 4 2×3 on a 4×6 sheet right?
    thanks