Frequently Asked Questions About Darkroom Booth photo booth software

DRS-FAQ-BANNER

Our photo booth team here at Imaging Spectrum has been selling and supporting Darkroom Booth for a couple of months now. We thought it might be helpful to compile a list of frequently asked questions that the team has been receiving.

What cameras will Darkroom Booth work with?

Booth will work with any Canon SLR or Nikon SLR camera that supports tethering. Darkroom Booth will also work with most Windows supported webcams, however, our experience shows that spending a little more money on an SLR really pays off with image quality and functionality. Click here to see a list of supported cameras.

What printers will Darkroom Booth work with?

Darkroom Booth can use any printer supported by Windows. That’s right, any printer that has a Windows driver will work with Darkroom Booth. And, unlike other photo booth software, Booth incorporates built-in drivers for many of the most popular photo booth dye sub printers. Built in drivers increase the speed and functionality of the printer.

Do I need any other software to create my own templates?

No, creating custom screens and templates is quick and easy. Darkroom Booth has it’s its own built in template editor to create and edit booth screens and photo templates. No need for any other software or knowledge of printing coordinates. Check out this video for a demonstration.

Can I add logos and other graphics to the screens or photo templates?

Yes, the template and ready screen editor can use most common graphic formats like JPG, PNG or TIF.

Do I need a really fast computer?

No. Darkroom Booth will run fine on any computer or laptop running Windows XP, 7 or 8. If you want to use lots of advanced Booth features (big live views, live green screen, multiple/large graphics), and you want it snappy with high-frame rates, then don’t get the cheapest processor available.

Is there a Mac version of Darkroom Booth?

No. We have found that most booth operators want to use an inexpensive computer or laptop in their booth. Booth will run in Boot Camp, but not in virtual environments (no Parallels or Fusion). We love Macs too and wouldn’t want to relegate such beautiful machines to the back of a dusty photo booth. Seriously though, solid new/used Windows PCs can be had for cheap. We’ve seen speedy refurbished models for around $100.

Can Darkroom Booth email photo strips or upload images to Facebook?

Yes, you can set up Darkroom Booth to prompt the user for an email address to which to send the photo strip. You can also set the size on the image from a low resolution to the full size image. Images can also be uploaded to Facebook using the mobile Facebook email address (here’s how to do it).

Can I use an iPad or tablet with Booth as a social media sharing station?

Darkroom Booth will work with third party social media sharing apps. One that we have had success with is Picpic Social. Picpic will allow your guests to share their images using an iPad. A tablet version is in the works. Check it out and download a trial here.

Does Darkroom Booth include green screen functionality?

Yes, Green Screen functionality is built into Darkroom Booth Software. Green Screen is supported in the photo strips and in Live View so the user will see the green screen background on screen as well as on the print.

Can the user choose the green screen background?

Yes. With Booth’s powerful screen customization you can create an experience where the user can toggle through different backgrounds and choose the one they would like.

On how many computers can I use Darkroom Booth?

The Darkroom Booth license agreement allows you to activate the software on 2 (two) computers. You can also easily deactivate a computer and move the license from one computer to another.

Is there a free trial of Darkroom Booth?

Yes, you can download a full featured trial version here. There are no limitations to the trial, however, all images are watermarked.

How hard is it to reprint photo strips?

Easy! You can browse the photo strips for any event and select the images you wish to print. You can program a button to reprint the last session.

Can I create screens and photo templates on one computer and use them on another?

Easy to build screens and templates is a key feature of Darkroom Booth. User screens and photo strips can be created on one computer, saved as a single file (all graphics, fonts and layout) and copied to other computers running Darkroom Booth. Darkroom Software is working on a marketplace where you will be able to buy and sell custom screens and templates.

Can I easily save photo strips to a thumb drive?

Yes, in the image browser screen there is an option to save the selected images to a folder, thumb drive or burn to a CD. Click here to see how.

Does Darkroom Booth support video recording?

Yes, Darkroom Booth can be set up to take still photos and/or video. Check out the video demonstrating this new feature.

Does Booth work with touch screen computers?

Yes, Booth has very powerful touch screen support. With the screen layout editor you can make buttons of almost any shape and color with text. You can then associate that button with a booth command like start, B&W, color and many others. Click here for how-to video.

I don’t have a touch screen, can I use booth too?

Of course! Booth does not require a touch screen. There are keyboard shortcuts and you can program up to 3 mouse buttons (left, middle and right) each to its own command. You can also add arcade style buttons and use a serial interface and use 4 more buttons. Combined that would be 7 total buttons each with its own command.

If you have any questions about Darkroom Booth photo booth software or about photo booth printers or about the photo booth business in general, be sure to call and ask for one of our photo booth specialists at 800-342-9294. You can also leave a comment below which we will promptly address or you can email photobooth@imagingspectrum.com.

Thanks for reading!

Marketing guy at Imaging Spectrum

1. Aurelio Mireles

January 6, 2016 - 11:46 am

I have a client (promoter) who requires I get a list of all the clients emails. Does the program collect all the mails in the program.

2. Noebhuddy

December 9, 2015 - 3:42 am

is there a way you can use hot folder for the prints, so i can just snap the picture myself instead of an automatic booth countdown?

3. carmady kruger

September 6, 2015 - 11:40 am

I can’t get face recognition to work. It doesn’t start the session or print by faces. Help.

4. deocampo creations

August 27, 2015 - 5:11 am

I have also tried to uninstall the program & reinstall, it gave me the same issue. Now I’m trying to start the program into another computer but now I have lost all the templates I have made in the last year.

5. deocampo creations

August 27, 2015 - 5:09 am

Darkroom booth says…darkroom booth has stopped working & the only options it gives me is to close it. It also says abnormal program termination. It never did this before. Am I out of memory or something?

August 18, 2015 - 10:30 am

@Mike you can use an iPad and a third party app like Pic Pic Social or TIF Social.

7. Mike

August 17, 2015 - 8:46 pm

I would like to print photos on another computer for customers without using the booth computer?

Should i do this with another computer or can i use a ipad

8. Nikhil

August 10, 2015 - 1:47 pm

I’m not receiving the pictures to my e-mail account once the session gets over even though the system is connected to the internet. Why so ?. Please help

July 15, 2015 - 1:11 pm

There are many variables and it depends on which printer. Booth has built in drivers for some printers like the Brava 21 which makes printing a little faster. Let us know if you have specific questions about any printers.

10. Eric

July 15, 2015 - 12:19 am

Does darkroombooth print faster than dslr booth using the same printer?

11. Amanda

June 23, 2015 - 3:55 pm

Hi, i have a customer wanting to have live view of the pics taken to show on a screen outside of the booth. Is there a way to do this?

12. Angel Zavala

June 22, 2015 - 7:40 pm

is there another alternative to picpic social?

13. Carmady Kruger

May 30, 2015 - 10:30 am

Thank you, I hadn’t tried this yet. I will for today’s event though. Any way to add +1 print for the album?

May 27, 2015 - 12:01 pm

Karen, Try using a larger size to pick the font, then set the size.

May 27, 2015 - 11:51 am

Shaun, that will be a feature available in version 2 which will be released soon.

May 27, 2015 - 11:50 am

@Carmady – have you tried using the facial recognition feature?

17. Karen Leyva

May 23, 2015 - 4:05 pm

Ho do I change the size of the fonts in the preview dropdown menu?
    They are so tiny I cant even see a lot of them!

18. shaun

May 21, 2015 - 7:52 am

Hi. Can a guest choose between 2 different print layouts by having an option on the touchscreen. I.e postcard or doubled strip. That is each guest can choose which one they want before the pictures are taken.

19. Carmady Kruger

May 16, 2015 - 9:21 am

I would like to have a screen that asks guests how many people are in the booth, divides their input by number of prints per sheet of paper and inputs the number to print out automatically, to allow for unlimited prints, which seems to becoming the standard here – without having to hit Ctrl-R or Alt-R for every single session. This is quickly becoming a deal breaker, real hassle. Unless there is something I don’t know about currently in the software?
    Thanks!

20. Steve

April 21, 2015 - 1:46 am

Hi, I have dark room on my 2 Booths and I was using the booth this past Saturday and everything was going fine until a few of the prints were black. I was using 2×6 4 pics and I couldn’t figure out what was causing this so turned on more lighting and it continues so I switched to breeze and it worked fine til the end.

February 13, 2015 - 3:51 pm

James, you can install Darkroom Booth on two computers. One is meant to be a back up.

22. james

February 6, 2015 - 9:13 pm

how many computers can i install the software on or not.

James

23. Rey Aguda

January 20, 2015 - 2:13 am

Is there a way for Booth to store images taken on the camera’s memory card? This would allow for printing 8X10s on another printer by swapping the memory card.

January 9, 2015 - 11:41 am

If the computer is “dead” and you can not deactivate the software, you can call or email Darkroom Software and they can deactivate the software for you. Call 800-517-4522 or email support@darkroomsoftware.com

25. Joel

January 9, 2015 - 3:03 am

Hi,

I’m allow to use Darkroom Booth on 2 computers and have to deactivate a computer and move the license from one computer to another.
    But in the event of a computer with Darkroom Booth installed breaking down and me not being able to access the computer anymore, what are the alternatives I can use to ensure the license can be moved to another new computer?

December 8, 2014 - 4:19 pm

Hi Doug,
    Assuming you are using Darkroom Booth all you need is a USB cable. Then turn on liveview in the Booth software as instructed here: boothmanual.com

27. Doug Miller

December 7, 2014 - 12:47 pm

im building a photo booth. I have a canon 70D camera and a Asus touch screen monitor, Mitsubishi dye sub printer and a Toshiba laptop as the computer with Darkroom booth software. My question is this? Do I need special cables to connect my Camera to the laptop so the customer can see themselves live in the booth while having their photo booth Picts taken. How does this process of wires work? Is there YouTube videos to watch for complete set up? Thanks for any help you can give.

28. terry

September 11, 2014 - 3:44 pm

I want to do a touch screen live view. what’s a good cheap touch screen monitor? Also, I wouldnt need to install anything on to it right? just the laptop that’s connected to it?

29. Thomas Saldana

July 29, 2014 - 4:24 pm

Hi Toryn! There are a few ways to start a session. By default, the software will utilize a touchscreen option; you can create on-screen “buttons” off of graphics and/or shapes in the edit screens. If no touchscreen is available, you also have mouse clicks and finally hotkeys (ie Ctrl+R for reprint). With this said, you can purchase arcade-style buttons that can be set up to run a keyboard/hotkey command. Personally I’ve discovered that holding a wireless mouse and setting the left click to ‘Start’ and right click to ‘Reprint’ gets me through the night with no additional needs.

30. Toryn

July 29, 2014 - 10:26 am

Are there any remotes that would start a photobooth session within Darkroom?

31. Craig

July 7, 2014 - 11:36 am

If I am running Darkroom Booth on a PC laptop outside the booth, how would the guests preview and start the session without a touch screen? Would a non-touch second monitor work? If so, how would they be able to trigger the session?

32. Thomas Saldana

June 25, 2014 - 9:18 am

Thomas, there are a few ways to do this. ‘Ctrl-R’ on your keyboard with print the last photo. Furthermore, you can get buttons that utilize keyboard shortcuts in which case you would program the button to ‘Ctrl-R’. My personal favorite is to use a wireless mouse and set the right click button to ‘Reprint Last'(note: this is only useful if someone is supervising the booth). To do so; go to Settings>Controls> and hit the drop down menu for the mouse command.

33. Thomas

June 18, 2014 - 2:46 pm

How do I do this?

April 16, 2014 - 11:07 am

@adam – the trial version will print with a watermark. check your printer connection. what printer are you using?

35. adam

April 15, 2014 - 9:22 pm

will the trial actually print is it just showing us how the program works and doesn’t print any of the images? I have installed my printer and can see it on the printer options list but wont print. Just wondering if that ‘s the problem.

April 7, 2014 - 12:20 pm

@Colin Unfortunately, there is not a good solution for the workflow you describe using Booth. The developers have it on there list but no ETA. You could use Darkroom Core to achieve said results…

37. Colin

April 6, 2014 - 12:40 pm

Hi,
    Is there a way to save the individual green screen images complete with the photo background.

I know darkroom saves the strip that was printed as an image and this shows the photo backgrounds however when viewing the individual images taken they just show the actual green background and not the photo.

I would like to upload the individual images complete with photo backgrounds to our website and not the image of the strip that was printed ie not the full 4 photos on the strip

February 13, 2014 - 5:34 pm

@Nancy No, Booth will not run a Chromebook. It will run on any tablet running Windows. You can find Windows tablets very inexpensively. We have one here that runs Booth nicely that we paid $250 for.

39. Nancy

February 13, 2014 - 12:06 pm

Will Darkroom Booth work with Google Chromebooks? Thank you!

January 27, 2014 - 11:41 am

@Jessica – yes, as long as the printers are the same models, Darkroom Booth will send print job to first available printer.

41. Jessica

January 27, 2014 - 4:23 am

Can I run two printers at once so when the queue gets long on first printer, the second one automatically starts taking overflow?

November 27, 2013 - 11:07 am

Any computer store is likely to have refurbished units for sale. If you are shopping online try amazon.com

43. Debbie

November 26, 2013 - 10:53 am

Where would I be able to find a refurbished computer?

44. Jesse D