Photo Booth Software Update

UPDATE June 2013: See our latest post on photo booth software.

As photo booths grow in popularity, I continue to get asked questions about what software is the best choice for photographers wanting to build their own booths. While there are many choices when it comes to printer options, there just aren’t that many when it comes to software.Photo Booth Sample from Sony UP-DR200

The two most popular photo booth software programs with our customers are Breeze Systems or PhotoBoof.  These are both PC platform programs and capable of accepting drivers from popular photo booth dye sub printers (such as the Sony UPCX1 or Sony UP-DR200). Both programs also allow you to take advantage of the 2×6 or 2×8 “photo strip” printing available with these printers.

We also get a lot of questions about photo booth programs for the Mac platform. There are some interesting developments taking place relative to Mac and photo booths. Breeze Systems has announced that they will have a beta version available sometime in October with full release scheduled for later in 2010. Another company to keep an eye on is Allen Christopher Software. This company recently announced that they would be introducing a Mac compatible photo booth program. Read more here.

I also get asked a lot of questions about green screen capability with photo booth software programs. Breeze Systems has one that works with a variety of graphic elements. By combining live view with green screen and an overlay image, users are able to interact with a virtual scene containing both foreground and background elements. See for yourself here.

Feel free to give me a call or email me at if you have any questions and/or need advice on choosing a good professional printer for your system. If you are not interested in building your own booth, we might be able to recommend one of our customers who have a “turn key” solution for you.

Have a super day!

Steve Behen

Related posts:

Website Links:
Photo Boof Software
Breeze System Photo Booth Software
Allen Christopher Professional Photography Software

Steve has over 22 years of professional imaging industry experience and has been a part of the Imaging Spectrum sales/marketing team for 9 years. Before joining Imaging Spectrum, he spent 16 years working for Kodak Professional in Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas.

1. Ed Kelley

September 22, 2010 - 12:09 pm

Can you tell me which software I should condiser for a PC based Windows AP operating sysyem for event photography using a Sony UP DR200 printer. I’m mostly interested in youth sports photography shooting on location but able to add text like the team name on a 4 x 6 print.

2. Steve Behen / ISI

September 22, 2010 - 1:31 pm

The standard for the event market and youth sports industry is Express Digital Software. I would like to ask you a few questions to make sure that it would be the best fit for your workflow. Please feel free to give me a call. 800-342-9294. I look forward to hearing from you!
    Thanks again.
    Steve Behen
    Imaging Spectrum

3. Mike Sheikh

October 3, 2010 - 1:31 am

Just so you know we have bought about 5 of the Sony UPCX1 from you guys for our locations in the past 3 months. We sell the software al a carte or as part of a kiosk. Our software is more expensive than the Breeze or the Photoboof Software but it is also a video booth that makes party favors, file sharing, and a realtime slide show. Our software works with a PC on all operating sytems including Windows 7. Our software works with all webcams and mini DV recorders with a firewire port. Its plug and play. You might want to check us out and also give us a mention. One of our websites is

4. Steve Behen / ISI

October 5, 2010 - 4:05 pm

Thank you for the note! I just sent you an email. Please call me when you have a chance. We would like to learn more about your software.

I would be happy to mention you in our next photobooth software blog update.

Thanks again. Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Steve Behen

5. Mike Sheikh

November 6, 2010 - 11:03 pm

Steve, just wanted to let you know that I got a great lead from you for my video booth software. I’ll keep you posted.

6. Michael

May 11, 2011 - 2:50 pm

Why don’t you have your developers incorporate a Photo Booth application into your DARKROOM software?

7. Eric Woodchek

May 12, 2011 - 10:47 am

Hi Michael,
    Thank you for your comment. Good point! I have asked the development team to add this to their wish list. Darkroom Software is one, if not the best print engine available – it would make perfect sense to have a Photobooth feature.

8. Bigmike

July 6, 2011 - 11:19 am

Hello Sir Steve… I was just wondering if there is a software I can use for my current gears to start my own photobooth business.

Canon g12
    Selphy 710
    Acer Laptop

I have been going to several forums and sites but I dont seem to find any that can help me. The Photo Boof and PS remote does not support the G12.

Hope you can help me out with this. Thanks!

9. Brady Fulton

July 21, 2011 - 11:44 pm

Not sure if this has shown up on your radar, but Sparkbooth is another good solution for a low cost software package. Their site is here:

10. Steve

July 25, 2011 - 8:40 am

Thank you for the note. You are correct, the G12 is not supported. I might recommend using one of the Canon Rebels and Breeze DSLR Software. I would also recommend not using a Selphy 710, as there are much better options out there for you. Feel free to give me a call to discuss in further detail. I would be happy to go over a number of printer and software options with you.

Thanks again.

Imaging Spectrum

11. Sean

September 1, 2011 - 11:22 pm

I have downloaded the trial breeze dslr remote pro for my photobooth. I am having a hard time with the basics. Label them with the name of the people getting married and setting up the live view screen with a touchscreen monitor. Please email me the office number so I can call you.

12. Steve

September 7, 2011 - 3:33 pm

Thanks for the note. You will want to call us and ask for Bill. 800-342-9294.

Thanks again!

13. Gian Carlo Dacua

September 9, 2011 - 9:37 am

Dear Sir Steve,

My name is Carlo from the Philippines. Can I ask some tips with regards to setting up a photo booth??

I have a Nikon D60 DSLR Camera, I still have to buy some equipments like lighting, backgrounds should be customized depends on client request, my dilemma is the software I need for my laptop which is running Windows 7.

I maybe sound dumb, I really need your professional help.

Warm regards,

14. Steve

September 9, 2011 - 10:55 am

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, send me an email with your questions and I would be glad to point you in the right direction.

Thanks again.

15. shannon

September 28, 2011 - 3:13 pm

I need a software program for my photo/video booth useing DSRL camera. Which program is more user friendly and offers more options?

16. Steve

October 4, 2011 - 11:31 am

Thanks for the note. There are several options to choose from in regards to professional photobooth software. We sell the Breeze DSLR software ( is an excellent choice.

You can also have a look at,,,

The photobooth programs vary in terms of what you may consider “friendly” and I am not sure what options you may be looking for. Feel free to give me a call to discuss the details.

Thanks again.
    Steve Behen
    Imaging Spectrum

17. Marius

October 6, 2011 - 4:55 pm

I would like to open a small business with photo booth. I want to buy Photo Booth Software , I want to tell me if it is compatible with “Bill Validator” (for example “NV9 ‘Smiley’ bank note validator.”) , see this site “ ”

18. Mike B

November 9, 2011 - 7:34 am

Any word from DNP on whether or not they will be releasing print drivers for the DS40 to allow for the cutting of 2×6 and 2.5×7 photo strips? Seems like they are falling behind the competitors and are beginning to make me think I made a bad investment in purchasing their printers.

19. Steve

November 9, 2011 - 10:08 am

Mike B,

Thanks for the note. According to DNP, they are still “working on it”, however, they still are not commiting to a date for a 2×6 cut for the DS40. Please call me to discuss this in greater detail. They have also introduced a new printer and have commited to a date of December or January for a 2×6 cut for this model.

Imaging Spectrum

20. Candy

February 7, 2012 - 3:08 pm

Hi Steve,

I see you recommend the Breeze and photoboof softwares but why is there such a huge difference in price?

21. Manolo

February 8, 2012 - 11:04 pm

Hi, im trying to send the pictures from the photobooth to clients email, any idea that can help me do that? do you know any software that can provide that?

February 9, 2012 - 11:55 am

Excellent question. Like most software, features and quantity sold are the main factors in price. I cannot explain how they came up with their prices but I know there are a few $1000+ photo booth software and some under $100 ones too. Breeze and Photoboof have features and functions that we know works and with Breeze, we sell and support.

At Imaging USA we had Skip in our booth and he was using Breeze and a couple of iPads to email photos. Have a look at our blog post about it and Skip’s contact is on there also.

Hope that helps.

23. M.K

February 10, 2012 - 1:50 pm

hi i delete system preference and the photo booth not work

24. Rickey

May 14, 2012 - 8:55 pm

I would like to buy software to finnish my photo booth I know what i want it to do but not sure what to buy if you can call me that would be great 504 458 9152

25. Scot

May 30, 2012 - 11:15 am

Hello Steve,

I want to build a photo booth for my kids birthdays. I have a nikon Coolpix L810 and a laptop. I need a printer and software. Do you know the best least expensive route? thanks

26. Michael

June 14, 2012 - 1:15 am

There’s also another contender in this arena for all diy dslr shooters out there and it’s dslrBooth ( which is the cheapest and I think the most straightforward to use.

27. Tammy

August 4, 2012 - 2:40 pm

We just purschaed a photo booth. We are using the shinko printer and breese software. We’re having trouble with overlays. Could you lend us a hand getting started.

Thanks for your help!!

28. Steve

August 6, 2012 - 9:01 am

Thank you for the note. Feel free to contact me and we will try out best to get you going.

Thanks again.

Steve Behen
    Imaging Spectrum

29. Steve

August 6, 2012 - 9:03 am

You may want to consider a program like and a used printer. If this is for a hobby or home application, you could use just about any printer. If you would like a professional solution, please check out our used printers as they are great value buys for those kind of applications.

Thanks again.

Steve Behen

30. shaneandsunnyphotobooth

September 11, 2012 - 2:20 am

I was very pleased to find this net-site. I wished to thanks on your time for this glorious learns!! I undoubtedly enjoying every little bit of it and I’ve you bookmarked to take a look at new stuff you weblog post.

31. Michelle

September 19, 2012 - 5:35 am

Hi Steve,

We are in the process of looking at puchasing a photobooth and was looking for some advice? We have heard good & bad things about Breeze system, what would you recommend?

32. Steve B

September 19, 2012 - 8:14 am

Tank you for the note. Please call me to discuss. We can help you choose the right solution for your needs. Breeze is a solid program, however, it may or may not feed your needs. We can discuss your workflow requirements in greater detail in a live conversation.

I can be reached at 800-342-9294.
    Steve Behen
    Imaging Spectrum

33. Don fortner

October 15, 2012 - 1:23 pm

I am currently using Breeze software for my booth. It to me is not very user friendly. I am currently having an issue with the preview continuing to stay up from Picasa over the live view for the next photo. I know this must be a minor thing. I am having to click the mouse to remove the Preview of each shot. Have gotten only “refer to the manual” from Breeze. Need Help Quick ! thanks !

October 15, 2012 - 3:20 pm

I have never seen that. I assume you have Picasa set to auto load images when an photo comes in if I am understanding you correctly. Delete or reset Picasa. Make sure you have Breeze in Full Screen Photobooth mode. If that does not work call our tech line at 800.342.9294.

35. Debbie

October 19, 2012 - 1:43 am

I have a Canon MKII and portable portrait equipment (lighting backdrops etc). I need to figure out how to print on site (Like open photo-booth I’m guessing.)
    My camera has live view so I’m thinking I can just print page except I need to add customization (Customer Logo)to the print, anyone have ideas on how I can best accomplish this. One event wants 8x10s With Event Logo across bottom???
    I also need to keep track of who is who on each photo printed, how do school photographers keep track of names of who belongs to what photo?

October 19, 2012 - 9:46 am

Part of what you want is the Breeze photobooth software and part is Darkroom. Give me a call at 800.342.9294 so I can accurately answer your question. Bill

37. John Kelly

April 22, 2013 - 3:53 pm

I just got the PSremote from Breeze I’m using windows xp and a Canon S5 and I’m having a very hard time with the basics. The header and footer and the template setup. Also I guess I’ll need photoshop to make templates? Is there anywhere else I can go to get a little more simply directions so I can set this up.
    Thanks for any help, John

38. Raphel

May 16, 2013 - 1:30 pm

Hi there, I have a Sony a550 camera, and i did everything to get a software to have a photobooth for my niece’s upcoming birthday. and have it as a business as well, but none of these softwares work for my camera ( i hope not) id like to know if there are other softwares that supports mine. hope to hear from you guys. thank you.

39. Steve B

May 16, 2013 - 4:15 pm

@John Kelly

We currently do not support PS Remote. You will need to contact Breeze directly. We do support DSLR.

Thanks again.

Steve B
    Imaging Spectrum

40. Steve B

May 16, 2013 - 4:18 pm

Thank you for the note. We are not in a position to support that camera. If you had a common model of Nikon/Canon DSLR we should be able to make some professional suggestions.

Thanks again,

Steve B
    Imaging Spectrum

41. Neil Parkinson

November 25, 2013 - 2:04 pm

This software may be of interest if you want a simple, low cost way to record videos and photos using your own computer and webcam: