How to choose a printer for your digital Photo Booth.

Sample Photo Booth PictureOn a daily basis, I get calls asking for advice when it comes to choosing, or upgrading, a photo booth printer. Some of the more common questions tend to revolve around format and quality. However, weight, size and direction of media load are also important considerations. Photo booth design and output requirements need to be considered as well. All things considered, I have chosen a few of the more popular photo booth printers to talk about… with some good reasons why these rise above the rest. All of these photo printers are reliable, easy to maintain and produce beautiful “robust” prints.

Sony UP-CX1
Sony UP-CX1

The most popular printer in the photo booth market today is the Sony UP-CX1 digital photo printer. This light weight printer tips the scales at a mere 23lbs. Easy media replacement and a small footprint makes the UP-CX1 perfect for space-restricted areas. The ribbon cassette on this printer loads from the side and paper from the front. In situations where portability and weight are important, this is the lightest and most portable booth printer in the portfolio.

Sony UP-DR200
Sony UP-DR200

Another printer making waves in the photo booth industry is the Sony UP-DR200 digital photo printer. With its low per-print cost and speed, it’s been gaining in popularity. It also has Sony’s patented ProMatte™ finish, offering the look and feel of professional silver halide matte photos. Glossy printing is available without swapping out the media! If you want a higher level of professional quality in your photo booth look no further. If you want a sample print, give me a holler and I will send it to you.

Shinko S2145

The Shinko S2145 is another printer that has found a home in the photo booth market. Shinko has recently introduced a 2×6 photo booth strip driver for this model and the word is spreading. I have had good luck with Shinko, as they make a solid product that is nothing less than a workhorse. The printer’s reliability and hassle-free low maintenance is very attractive, as well as, its easy media load and high-capacity.

We have something in common during our work week. Like you, I don’t like headaches. That’s another good reason to choose one of these as your photo booth printer. If you have any questions feel free to drop me an email or give me a call. Thanks ~Steve Behen

Steve has over 22 years of professional imaging industry experience and has been a part of the Imaging Spectrum sales/marketing team for 9 years. Before joining Imaging Spectrum, he spent 16 years working for Kodak Professional in Los Angeles, Chicago and Dallas.

1. kerry

December 19, 2009 - 7:54 pm

hey steve is the shinko s2145 cutting the paper horizontial? if it is then that must mean the paper width is 6 inches. if you give me more information on the shinko s2145 would be great. i plan on using this for a photo booth.

March 30, 2010 - 4:59 pm

March 30, 2010 - 5:01 pm

4. Steve Behen

March 31, 2010 - 11:36 am

Feel free to contact me at your convenience. I tried sending you an email response and it bounced back.
    My email:
    Phone: 800-342-9294

I would be happy to answer your questions and look forward to your call.

Thanks again.

5. Keith

April 4, 2010 - 2:58 am

Hey Steve

I plan on building my own photo boot. What would you recommend for a photo booth software, printer and camera? I already have a canon G10. Which printer is the most reliable/ cost efficient and which software is the best/simple to use?

6. Daniel Galang

April 30, 2010 - 7:20 pm

Hi Steve – I am trying to build hybrid style photo-studio-booth and find your information on printers to be VERY valuable.. I’m looking to print photobooth prints at a wedding reception.

I’m the photographer running the booth and want to be able to print on site. I’m particularly interested in the software that I can use – something simple and perhaps something that can utilize Lightroom v.2 post-processing.

If it helps any – I am currently processing in Lightroom and use an iMac. I’m a Nikon D300 shooter…

Your help and expertise would be greatly appreciated.

7. Steve Behen

May 3, 2010 - 10:53 am

Feel free to call me to discuss. I do have some recommendations for printers, Lightroom and other software for photobooths. Feel free to give me a call
    to discuss.

Thanks again.

Steve Behen

8. Jackie

June 13, 2010 - 5:22 pm

Hi Steve
    I have a iMac 27 in for indoor photobooth for family and friends parties.

However, when I am hired to go out to events, I rather use my macbook pro.

I like David Cline photo booth software because I don’t have to interact with the customer. They are able to do everything on their own. Now, I would like to step up my equipment and just use a more powerful camera, DSLR. I have a rebel xt with 50mm f/1.4 lens.

Is there any cheap software that I can use? I do love the quality of prints from hd photobooth and truthphoto booth…com

I guess if you are unable to respond, I will call Imaging Spectrum.

9. Rollie

September 12, 2010 - 4:41 pm

Hi Steve,

I am planning to operate several event photo booths this coming holiday season. Please advise on an efficient configuration in software,hardware to print 4×6 or 5×7 copies for sale / distribution on site. I do have an XP based laptop and a Nikon D90 to start with.
    Will the Sony printers stand up with the Mitsubishi
    printers in functionality and economics?

Thanks and more power to you!

10. Steve Behen / ISI

September 13, 2010 - 12:02 pm

Thanks for the note. Feel free to give me a call to discuss. All of the dyesub printers we sell are professional grade printers. Depending on your workflow/output demands one printer may work better than another. I would like to ask you a few questions to help find which model may work better for your needs.
    Thanks again.

11. Helna Grant

October 25, 2010 - 11:50 pm

Hi Steve. I’m planning to put up a photo booth business that will cater to parties and as a result photos will serve as souvenirs. What would you recommend for a photo booth software, printer and camera? Can you recommend a printer that is reliable and cost efficient? What software is user friendly? Thanks and regards.

12. Steve Behen / ISI

October 27, 2010 - 9:41 am

Thank you for the note. Yes, I would be more than happy to help you. Please feel free to call me to discuss your needs. I have a few questions to ask you about your workflow requirements before making a recommendation.

Contact me at 800-342-9294
    M-F 8am-4pm CST

Steve Behen

13. Dennis

November 16, 2010 - 11:05 am

Hey Steve;
    Loved your info… I am looking at the Sony UP-DR200 – question about how much does a 4×6 print cost?

14. Steve Behen / ISI

November 16, 2010 - 11:55 am

Thank you for the feedback. The cost per print is approx. 15 cents per. Feel free to give me a call if you have additional questions. 800-342-9294

Thanks again.

15. Dennis

December 1, 2010 - 5:46 pm

Sony UP-DR200 digital photo printer. Could you send me a sample of both Matt and glossy prints – 5×7 size
    Dennis Steinke
    3545 Briarcrest Dr.
    Eau Claire, WI 54701

I think I might need this for DEC 31st would I get it in time?

16. Steve Behen / ISI

December 2, 2010 - 9:18 am

We would be happy to send you samples. We will get these out to you today. Shipping to Wisconsin is only 3 days.

Feel free to call me if you have any questions.

Steve Behen

17. Dennis

December 4, 2010 - 12:19 am

Hey Steve;
    Thanks for all the information can’t wait to see the sample photos.

Do have a question – would you know of a good photo booth software – I am looking at the Breeze systems software.

Also any idea on a good touch screen?

I am pretty sure I will be ordering the Sony UP-DR200 after seeing the sample photos.

We are full time wedding photographers for over 20 years do about 25 weddings per year. Just myself and my wife. We think a photo booth would add a little $$$$

Also we have a big New Years Eve Party we are hoping to take 5×7 photos and sell them for $10 or $15 each. The party should have about 400 – 500 people there. Maybe we will make enough to pay for the printer in one night – who knows.

18. Steve Behen / ISI

December 6, 2010 - 10:04 am

Thanks for the note. Feel free to give me a ring to discuss your questions. I would be happy to help out.

Breeze is certainly one of the most popular. You may want to send an email to Chris Breeze for a touch screen recommendation.

800-342-9294 or email

Thanks again.

Steve Behen

19. Dennis

December 8, 2010 - 3:53 pm

Hey Steve;

Thanks for the prints they are outstanding. I put the printer into my Cart, but before I pull the trigger I have one more question – can I print right from Lightroom?

20. Steve Behen / ISI

December 9, 2010 - 10:28 am

Yes you can. Do you have time to call me today? I would be happy to discuss this with you in more detail.

21. joe Tardi

December 10, 2010 - 11:00 pm

Please advise us to someone that can make custom software for our photo booth including green screen
    Thankyou j Tardi

22. Flavia Porto

December 28, 2010 - 9:42 pm

I am from Brazil and I am trying to purchase a dyesub printer down here but I am having some trouble finding informatio. Could you help me?
    I found both UPDR-200 and UPCX-1 from Sony but the salespeople don’t know if I can print 2×6 strips.
    Do you have any information on the Fuji printers?
    Is photoboof a good software or would you recommend a different one? I have a cannon EOS 1000D.
    Thank you, Flavia.

23. Eric Woodchek

December 29, 2010 - 9:27 am

Hello Flavia,
    I will have Steve contact you directly via email.
    Best regards,

24. Steve Behen / ISI

December 30, 2010 - 9:10 am

Thank you for the note. Yes, the Sony UPDR200 will do 2×6 strips. However, the UPCX1 will not. The UPCX1 does have a special media kit that is perforated that will do 2×8 strips.

The Fuji printer can be found on our website:

Yes, Photoboof is a popular software. You may want to check out these others as they are popular as well.

In regards to the camera choice, I would rely on the recommendation of the software that you use. Your choice of camera will depend on what the software is compatible with.

Thanks again.

Steve Behen
    Photobooth Specialist

25. Karen Bauman

January 7, 2011 - 2:19 pm

Good Afternoon,

I was hoping to get a email sent to me with advice on what type of printer I should purchase. The camera I would use is a Canon EOS 5D or 30D. The software I have is DSLR Remote Pro by Breeze Systems. Please email me since I often am in and out of the office. Thank you for your time.

26. Eric Woodchek

January 10, 2011 - 2:33 pm

Hi Karen,
    Thank you for your comment. I will have Steve send you an email.

27. Albert

July 25, 2011 - 8:53 pm

Im trying to buy a UP-CX1, but it seems like its out od stock everywhere do you happen to know where can i buy it ?

28. Eric Woodchek

July 28, 2011 - 9:00 am

Hi Albert,
    Unfortunately, the Sony UPCX1 has been discontinued with no replacement. Comparable models available now:
    The HiTi 510S
    The HiTi 510L
    Feel free to call and speak with one of our specialists, they can answer your questions and help you choose a printer that fits your budget and workflow. – 800-342-9294

29. Steve

July 28, 2011 - 9:15 am

If a used UPCX1 is an option, I just got in a used UPCX1(this will sell quickly). If you are interested, please call me asap.

Steve Behen

30. Alan

January 7, 2012 - 6:03 am

Hi Steve,

Is the primary difference between Express photo software and Breeze systems software the fact that breeze is more photo booth oriented and more reasonable in price than Express photo version 8.51 ( I am dating myself here)

I am doing event photography and really like the idea of shooting files and feeding to print files and have them automatically printed using Breeze Hot folders.

I think Express Photo may have more green screen options. I ask you if you have a side by side comparison of the two softwares.

I do lots of weddings, corporate events, and want to incorporate some software for photo booth, and instant printing etc that compliments my market niches.

I look forward to your professional suggestions

31. Steve

January 9, 2012 - 10:19 am

Thanks for the note. Photobooths typically capture a sequence of images, which is what Breeze is set up to do. Darkroom is not set up to do a sequence of images like Breeze can. With that said, Version 9.1 Darkroom is the best choice for straight event photography, which can also be teathered and set to print automatically. Please call us to discuss your workflow in greater detail. There are a number of considerations when choosing between the two. They are two very different programs for two different workflow scenarios. We can help you choose which one will work best for your needs.

Thanks again.
    Steve Behen

32. sandy

July 8, 2012 - 7:42 pm

i am looking at buy all the peace for the inside of a photo booth. i have the outside already built. Any suggestions?
    thanks for your time

33. Liz Trent

July 14, 2012 - 10:25 pm

Hello, starting a photobooth and was looking around trying to find out what the best printer and software is. I’m looking at using the Canon Rebel T3i. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

34. Steve

July 16, 2012 - 11:04 am

Feel free to give me a call to discuss this in greater detail. We can help you figure out the internal parts of your booth build.

Steve Behen

35. Steve

July 16, 2012 - 11:06 am

Thank you for the note. Your choice of printer and software will depend on what you expect from your workflow and the end result you want to offer your customer. Feel free to give me a call to discuss this in greater detail.

Steve Behen